(Hiba Cedar) An unusual and slow growing shrub or eventually very small tree, Thujopsis dolabrata has dark emerald green, flat sprays of aromatic, scale-like leaves.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
An unusual and slow growing conifer, Thujopsis dolabrata has dark emerald green, flat sprays of aromatic, scale-like leaves. Native to the woods of Japan, this is a very handsome foliage plant, slow growing and shrub-like in the short term but eventually a small branching tree.
Thujopsis dolabrata is suitable for a position in full sun or light, dappled shade and is hardy but prefers some shelter from cold wind if possible.
Please be aware that due to its slow growing nature and although a large shrub or very small tree eventually, this is not a plant for instant gratification!
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist (but not waterlogged), fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Thujopsis dolabrata will grow as a pyramidal shrub in the short term, making a small tree in very many years.
- Height: up to 6 - 10 m (20 - 32 ft) / up to 2 - 2.5m after 10 years
- Spread: up to 5 m (16 ft) / up to 2m after 10 years
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m), Shrub - Large (3m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Alkaline
- Special Features