A rare, graceful small tree native to parts of Central and Western China, Tetracentron sinense is similar in appearance to a Cercidiphyllum (Katsura Tree) with alternate, elongated, heart shaped leaves.
Enter code autumn75 at checkout for 10% off plants on orders over £75 (web only)
Priority 1 - 2 day courier delivery service also available *Surcharges apply for Northern Scotland, Highlands & Islands
5% discount on all plants ordered via our website for collection from our nursery.
A rare, graceful small tree native to parts of Central and Western China, Tetracentron sinense is similar in appearance to a Cercidiphyllum (Katsura Tree) with alternate, elongated, heart shaped leaves. These leaves are dark green in summer, turning shades of orange and red before falling in autumn.
Established specimens of Tetracentron sinense have catkin-like, yellow flower clusters in the summer.
Tetracentron sinense is a very lovely small tree, best suited to a position in light, dappled shade with some shelter from strong winds. It may require protection from late spring frost in cold areas and would not enjoy a windy, exposed position.
- Position: Sheltered area from the wind in sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist but well drained, neutral or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy but Tetracentron sinense requires shelter from strong winds and protection from late frosts when young.
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Tetracentron sinense will grow to be a large shrub in the short term or eventually a very small spreading tree.
- Height: 4 - 5 m (16 - 20 ft) / [up to 2 - 2.5 m (6 - 8 ft) in ten years] - size based on expected growth rate here in South Derbyshire, UK.
- Spread: 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft) / [2.5m (8 ft) in ten years]
- Notes: Please be aware that although hardy, Tetracentron sinense can be a fickle and difficult plant in a very wet winter if waterlogged, if caught by late frost or if planted in a poor exposed position. As such, it is not covered by our guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (3m+), Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Rare and Unusual, Foliage - Unusual Shape