Symphytum 'Hidcote Blue'
(Comfrey) Symphytum 'Hidcote Blue' is a tough, reliable flowering ground cover plant with some leaf cover through the winter and clumps of fresh leaves appearing from early spring.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 10 - 15 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
A tough, reliable flowering ground cover plant with some leaf cover through the winter and clumps of fresh leaves appearing from early spring.
Symphytum 'Hidcote Blue' has clusters of tubular flowers in late spring and a delicate bi-colour effect, with the pretty red buds opening to pale blue flowers. The flowers are popular with bees and other insects.
Later in the year after the flowers have faded, the foliage forms a soft and cool green carpet which is ideal for underplanting. A favourite for difficult spots in our woodland gardens!
- Position: Sun or shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: April - May.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Symphytum 'Hidcote Blue' grows to be a spreading ground cover plant.
- Height: 45 cm (1 ft)
- Spread: 45 - 60 cm (1 - 2 ft)
- Notes: We plant large numbers of Symphytum here to cover areas of bare ground and reduce the need for weeding. If planting Symphytum 'Hidcote Blue' to cover a large area within a reasonable time frame, we would suggest planting several at 50 - 75 cm (1 - 2 ft) apart
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade, Shade
- Mature Size
- Ground Cover, Herbaceous - Small
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Windy & Exposed
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Spring (March - May), Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Good for Wildlife (Insects including bees & butterflies)
You might also like