(Japanese Stewartia or Deciduous Camellia) A beautiful small tree native to Japan, Stewartia pseudocamellia has lovely white, camellia-like, flowers with yellow anthers in midsummer.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
A beautiful small tree native to Japan, Stewartia pseudocamellia has lovely white, camellia-like, flowers with yellow anthers in midsummer. The leaves are dark green, turning glowing shades of orange-red before falling in autumn and fabulous patchwork brown and grey bark on mature specimens. An unusual and eye-catching garden tree.
This is not a difficult species to grow but demands acid soil, shelter from cold winds and, above all, protection from late frosts which will kill even quite mature plants. During the depths of winter, freezing temperatures are not a problem but frosts after the leaves have emerged in spring are often fatal, especially on young plants.
- Position: Sheltered in sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Fertile, moist, acidic soil. Enjoys moist but well drained and not waterlogged soil.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. Protected from late frosts as a young plant.
- Flowering Period: July - August.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Small pyramidal, branching tree.
- Height: 10 m (32 ft)
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft)
- Notes: Once established, the coloured bark makes this a good tree for winter interest! Please be aware that although we usually guarantee plants for a year after purchase, we will not replace a Stewartia pseudocamellia which is damaged or killed in a late spring frost.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August)
You might also like