Sophora japonica (Styphnolobium japonicum)
(Pagoda Tree) An unusual, handsome and sought after tree, Sophora japonica has pinnate (feather-like) leaves up to 30 cm long and clusters of pea-shaped white flowers after a hot summer.
(Delivery within approximately 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An unusual, handsome and sought after tree, Sophora japonica has pinnate (feather-like) leaves up to 30 cm long and clusters of pea-shaped white flowers after a hot summer.
Established plants have a wonderful, gnarled habit and in our opinion, this is one of the most beautiful flowering trees available. Hardy and best in a position with a little shelter from strong winds but plenty of sunlight.
- Position: Full sun or very light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: August - October.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Sophora japonica eventually grows to be a medium sized, branching tree with a rounded crown once established.
- Height: up to 15 m (50 ft)
- Spread: 10 m (32 ft)
- Notes: Sophora japonica can take a number of years to start flowering fully in the UK and while lovely, it is best to consider it a foliage plant in the short term. This plant is also known as Styphnolobium japonicum.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall), Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Flowering Season - Autumn (September - November), Leaf Shape - Unusual or Large, Rare and Unusual, Honey Fungus Resistant
You might also likeNew Price Each £12.95New Price Each £17.95New Price Each £15.00Regular price £22.50 -10% New Price Each £20.25
New Price Each £35.00
- On sale!