(Japanese Tallow Tree ) A beautiful rare plant, native to the woods of Central and Southern Japan, as well as parts of China and Korea.
Enter code autumn75 at checkout for 10% off plants on orders over £75 (web only)
Priority 1 - 2 day courier delivery service also available *Surcharges apply for Northern Scotland, Highlands & Islands
5% discount on all plants ordered via our website for collection from our nursery.
A beautiful plant, native to the woods of Central and Southern Japan, as well as parts of China and Korea. Sapium japonicum has handsome dark green leaves which turn glowing shades of crimson and red in the autumn time before falling.
Once established, greenish-yellow, catkin like flowers can be seen in mid summer. This is both rare in cultivation and widely recognised to have some of the best autumn colours of any tree!
- Position: Warm in full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, lime free, fertile soil. Sapium japonicum generally does not grow well in a shallow, chalky soil.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. Sapium japonicum requires protection from cold winter winds and cold winter weather.
- Flowering Period: June.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Sapium japonicum grows to be a large branching shrub.
- Height: 4 m (13 ft)
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft)
- Notes: Please also note that Sapium japonicum can be a fickle and difficult plant, suitable for experienced gardeners only. As such, it is covered by our normal guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (3m+), Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Acid
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Rare and Unusual