Sambucus 'Black Tower'
(Columnar Elder) An eye-catching, slow growing, slender shrub, Sambucus 'Black Tower' has dark purple-black leaves and a dense, columnar, upright habit once established.
Enter code autumn75 at checkout for 10% off plants on orders over £75 (web only)
Priority 1 - 2 day courier delivery service also available *Surcharges apply for Northern Scotland, Highlands & Islands
5% discount on all plants ordered via our website for collection from our nursery.
An eye-catching new cultivar, Sambucus 'Black Tower' has dark purple-black leaves and a dense, columnar, upright habit once established. Flattened umbels (clusters) of small, white & pink flowers appear in midsummer, followed by masses of small black fruit which are popular with birds and wildlife.
A spectacular foliage plant suitable for gardens with limited space or for growing in a large container. This is a slow growing shrub and not for instant gratification.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade..
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: June.
- Flower Colour: White & pink
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Eventually a medium sized, columnar shrub.
- Height: 2 - 2.5 m (6 - 8 ft)
- Spread: 1 - 1.2 m (3 - 4 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Soil: Alkaline, Site: Coastal Areas, Site: Windy, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Soil: Damp/Wet
- Special Features
- Habit - Narrow, Honey Fungus Resistant, Suitable for Containers, Foliage - Purple/Red