Salix gracilistyla 'Melanostachys'
(Black Pussy Willow ) An eye-catching willow, Salix gracilistyla 'Melanostachys' has spectacular red anthered, black catkins in late winter and early spring.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An eye-catching willow, Salix gracilistyla 'Melanostachys' has spectacular red anthered, black catkins in late winter and early spring. These are very handsome and much sought after for use in flower arranging.
Salix gracilistyla 'Melanostachys' is an excellent large shrub which looks particularly good when planted near a stream or pond. For the best catkin display we would recommend pruning this plant hard back every 3 - 4 years.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil. Salix gracilistyla 'Melanostachys' enjoys damp or wet soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Salix gracilistyla 'Melanostachys' grows to be a large branching shrub with a rounded crown if left unpruned.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft)
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft)
- Notes: Salix gracilistyla 'Melanostachys' makes an effective garden plant if pruned back to 30 cm (1 ft) above the ground each spring or every two years before coming into leaf. This reduces the end size and encourages it to produce vigorous upright stems with a superb display of black catkins.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Special: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
You might also likeNew Price Each £16.95New Price Each £15.00Regular price £12.95 -30% New Price Each £9.07
New Price Each £12.95
- On sale!
New Price Each £32.00New Price Each £14.95
New Price Each £40.00