Salix alba 'Golden Ness'
(Golden-stemmed Willow) Grown for its superb winter stem colour, Salix alba 'Golden Ness' has beautiful, burnished gold branches in winter.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Grown for its superb winter stem colour, Salix alba 'Golden Ness' has beautiful, burnished gold branches in winter. These stems give the best colour if the plant is coppiced each spring.
We find Salix alba 'Golden Ness' looks particularly good when planted alongside streams or ponds and is ideal for use in a winter garden.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil. Salix alba 'Golden Ness' enjoys damp or wet soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Salix alba 'Golden Ness' eventually grows to be a medium sized, upright tree if left unpruned (The photos above show a regularly coppiced plant in our gardens).
- Height: 10 m (32 ft) or 2 m (6 ft) if coppiced yearly.
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft) or 1.5 m (5 ft) if coppiced yearly.
- Notes: Salix alba 'Golden Ness' makes an effective garden plant if pruned back to 30 cm (1 ft) above the ground each spring before coming into leaf. This reduces the end size and encourages it to produce vigorous, very colourful new growth!
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Windy & Exposed
- Special Features
- Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems
You might also like