(Alder Buckthorn) Rhamnus frangula is one of the few plants in our garden on which we are delighted to find caterpillars since it is the most important host plant to the Brimstone butterfly.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
One of the few plants in our garden on which we are delighted to find caterpillars since it is the most important host plant to the Brimstone butterfly. A very hardy, large shrub with dark green leaves and small red fruit, the wood makes the finest charcoal for the manufacture of gunpowder!
Excellent garden shrub for attracting wildlife and can be planted as a hedge if required. Also known as Frangula alnus.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Will tolerate damp (but not waterlogged) conditions.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Rhamnus frangula grows to be a large branching shrub.
- Height: 4 m (13 ft).
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (3m+), Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Site: Windy, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Soil: Damp/Wet
- Special Features
- Screening/Hedge, Fruit - Ornamental, Honey Fungus Resistant, Wildlife Friendly - Bees, Wildlife Friendly - Birds