(Alder Buckthorn) Rhamnus frangula is one of the few plants in our garden on which we are delighted to find caterpillars since it is the most important host plant to the Brimstone butterfly.
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Shipped within 2 - 4 working days
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
One of the few plants in our garden on which we are delighted to find caterpillars since it is the most important host plant to the Brimstone butterfly. A very hardy, large shrub with dark green leaves and small red fruit, the wood makes the finest charcoal for the manufacture of gunpowder!
Excellent garden shrub for attracting wildlife and can be planted as a hedge if required. Also known as Frangula alnus.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Will tolerate damp (but not waterlogged) conditions.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Rhamnus frangula grows to be a large branching shrub.
- Height: 4 m (13 ft).
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Special: Windy & Exposed, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Screening/Hedge, Fruit - Ornamental, Honey Fungus Resistant, Good for Wildlife (Insects including bees & butterflies), Good for Wildlife (Birds)
- On sale!