(Western Yellow Pine) Unusual in the UK, Pinus ponderosa grows to be a handsome, tall evergreen tree with dark green foliage and cinnamon brown bark once established.
Enter code autumn75 at checkout for 10% off plants on orders over £75 (web only)
Priority 1 - 2 day courier delivery service also available *Surcharges apply for Northern Scotland, Highlands & Islands
5% discount on all plants ordered via our website for collection from our nursery.
Unusual in the UK, Pinus ponderosa grows to be a handsome, tall evergreen tree and cinnamon brown bark once established. The needles are dark green and in groups of three, growing up to approx 25 cm long. Establish plants develop amazing star-shaped, pink-red flowers followed by reddish brown, conical cones. Native to parts of Western North America.
In the UK it will generally grow best if planted in a sunny position with decent drainage. Avoid wet or waterlogged areas.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Well drained soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Fairly wind tolerant.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Pinus ponderosa can sometimes be slow to settle down in the UK but once established grows to be a tall tree in time.
- Height: approx 20 m (65 ft) in the U.K.
- Spread: up to 6 - 8 m (20 - 26 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Large (15m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Alkaline, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Site: Windy
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Fruit - Ornamental, Ornamental Bark