(Japanese Red Cedar) Native to parts of Japan and China, Cryptomeria japonica is an elegant, evergreen tree once established with tiny, awl-shaped leaves.
Free delivery for orders over £75*
*Surcharges apply for Highlands & Islands
Native to parts of Japan and China, Cryptomeria japonica is an elegant, evergreen tree once established with tiny, awl-shaped leaves. These leaves are bright green in the summer, turning bronze-brown through the winter.
The bark of established specimens is very ornamental, reddish-brown and peeling in strips. A handsome garden tree, slender when young best suited to mild parts of the United Kingdom or positions sheltered from cold wind in more exposed areas.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist yet well drained, fertile soil. Cryptomeria japonica will not grow well in shallow, chalky soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Cryptomeria japonica will grow to be a tall slender tree with a pyramidal habit.
- Height: up to 20 m (65 ft) but usually smaller in the U.K.
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft).
- Notes: Cryptomeria japonica is notably wind tolerant but dislikes maritime exposure.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Large, Tree - Medium
- Growing Conditions
- Site: Windy, Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Acid, Soil: Alkaline, Soil: Dry/Sandy
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Ornamental Bark, Honey Fungus Resistant, Screening/Hedge