Phyllostachys nigra is a handsome bamboo with eye-catching black stems, found in the wild growing by streams and in forests in eastern and central China.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A handsome bamboo with eye-catching black stems, found in the wild growing by streams and in forests in eastern and central China. Phyllostachys nigra is evergreen, has shiny canes which are deep green at first, turning a polished black in their second year as they age and lush green leaves.
The young shoots produced in spring are edible and the tall, black canes are striking on an established plant. Suitable for a position in sun or partial shade.
- Position: Sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Tall, spreading bamboo.
- Height: 2.5 m (8 ft)
- Spread: 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft)
- Notes: Mature Phyllostachys nigra benefit from an annual thinning out of weaker canes, to create a 10 cm space between each stem. This helps strengthen the plant and the cut stems can be used to support other plants in the garden.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Grass - Large (over 6 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems, To grow in a pot, Screening/Hedge
- On sale!