Phyllostachys nigra is a handsome bamboo with eye-catching black stems, found in the wild growing by streams and in forests in eastern and central China.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A handsome bamboo with eye-catching black stems, found in the wild growing by streams and in forests in eastern and central China. Phyllostachys nigra is evergreen, has shiny canes which are deep green at first, turning a polished black in their second year as they age and lush green leaves.
The young shoots produced in spring are edible and the tall, black canes are striking on an established plant. Suitable for a position in sun or partial shade.
- Position: Sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Tall, spreading bamboo.
- Height: 2.5 m (8 ft)
- Spread: 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft)
- Notes: Mature Phyllostachys nigra benefit from an annual thinning out of weaker canes, to create a 10 cm space between each stem. This helps strengthen the plant and the cut stems can be used to support other plants in the garden.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Grass - Large (2m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Ornamental Bark, Suitable for Containers, Screening/Hedge