(Chinese Ironwood) Native to China, Parrotia subaequalis is a rare plant in the UK and has more dainty leaves than the classic Parrotia persica with spectacular wine-red autumn colour once established.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Native to China, Parrotia subaequalis is a rare plant in the UK and has more dainty leaves than the classic Parrotia persica with spectacular wine-red autumn colour once established. The summer leaves are dark green in colour with a purple margin and the young specimen in our gardens grows with a handsome, upright and vase-shaped so far (at 8 years of age in 2019).
Superb specimen tree with best autumn colour in a warm, sunny position. Not really suitable for cold, exposed, windy areas.
- Position: Sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy but avoid planting in cold, windswept areas..
- Flowering Period: January - February.
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Small branching tree with an upright habit.
- Height: 6 - 8 m (20 - 26 ft)
- Spread: 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Flowering Season - Winter (December - February), Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems, Rare and Unusual
- On sale!
- On sale!