(Water Tupelo) A rare tree native to parts of South-East USA, Nyssa aquatica thrives in warm, wet or swampy conditions and has attractive golden yellow or orange autumn colour once established.
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
(Water Tupelo) A rare tree native to parts of South-East USA, Nyssa aquatica thrives in warm, wet or swampy conditions and has attractive golden yellow or orange autumn colour once established. The leaves are long, and dark green with coarse teeth.
Nyssa aquatica is best suited to a warm position sheltered from strong winds with wet ground, next to ponds or streams is ideal and prolonged flooding once established is not a problem for this plant. Nyssa aquatica will not usually enjoy cold, windy exposed sites.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist or well drained, fertile soil. Nyssa aquatica requires a reasonably acid soil to produce its most vivid autumn colour and grow well.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Nyssa aquatica requires shelter from cold winter winds.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Nyssa aquatica grows to be a small or eventually medium sized tree in a good position.
- Height: 10 - 12 m (32 - 40 ft).
- Spread: 6 - 8 m (20 - 26 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall), Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems
You might also like