(Osage orange) An unusual small tree in the UK, Maclura pomifera has thorny branches and once established, large & pale yellow, orange-like fruit (male and female plants required).
(delivered in 3-4 working days, Free for orders over £125*)
(delivered in 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
An unusual small tree in the UK, Maclura pomifera has thorny branches and once established, large & pale yellow, orange-like fruit (male and female plants required). The leaves are mid green, turning shades of yellow before falling in autumn.
Maclura pomifera is hardy and most suited to a sunny position and any well drained soil (including chalky soils).
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Any well drained soil. Very good in chalky soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Maclura pomifera usually grows to be a small branching tree in the UK.
- Height: up to 10 m (32 ft)
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft)
- Notes: The plants available for sale are mixed sex, grown from seed. They are to young to flower yet and as a result we are not able to determine which are female and which are male.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Dry/Sandy, Soil: Alkaline, Soil: Not Fussy, Site: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Fruit - Ornamental, Rare and Unusual