Liquidambar styraciflua 'Festival'
(Sweet Gum) An unusual selection, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Festival' grows to be a small or eventually medium sized tree and gives one of the finest display of red autumn colour in our gardens.
(delivered in 3-4 working days, Free for orders over £125*)
(delivered in 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
An unusual tree, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Festival' gives one of the finest display of autumn colour in our gardens. The leaves are a bright green in spring and summer before turning a rich, burgundy-red in autumn.
Not only is the autumn colour excellent, it also lasts for a long time, often from mid September well into November. A spectacular garden tree, the Liquidambar styraciflua 'Festival' is on of our most popular autumn colour trees.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Festival' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate .
- Habit: Liquidambar styraciflua 'Festival' will grow to be a medium sized branching tree.
- Height: up to 15 - 18 m (50 - 60 ft) / or up to 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft) in 10 years
- Spread: 12 m (40 ft) / or up to 2.5 - 3 m (8 - 10 ft) in 10 years
- Notes: The autumn colour of individual plants will vary according to weather and in particular the pH of your soil. The best, most vivid colours will occur in lime-free or acid soils. A liberal annual application of flowers of sulphur around the base of a Liquidambar, at a rate of up to 2 oz. per square yard on neutral or slightly alkaline soils will slowly lower the pH and intensify the autumn colour!
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Medium (8m - 15m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour