Liquidambar styraciflua 'Pendula'
(Weeping Sweetgum) An elegant weeping form, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Pendula' is unusual and grows to be a small, spreading tree with dark green leaves in spring / summer and good red, orange and yellow autumn colour.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
An elegant weeping form, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Pendula' is unusual and grows to be a small, spreading tree with dark green leaves in spring / summer and good red, orange and yellow autumn colour. Once established, it also develops a ornamental, thick, corky bark!
The spreading, gently weeping habit makes this tree looks particularly effective when overhanging streams or paths.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Pendula' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Liquidambar styraciflua 'Pendula' grows to be a small, spreading tree with stiffly weeping branches.
- Height: 6 m (20 ft).
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft).
- Notes: The autumn colour of individual plants will vary according to weather and in particular the pH of your soil. The best, most vivid colours will occur in lime-free or acid soils. A liberal annual application of flowers of sulphur around the base of a Liquidambar, at a rate of up to 2 oz. per square yard on neutral or slightly alkaline soils will slowly lower the pH and intensify the autumn colour!
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Damp/Wet
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Habit - Weeping