Liquidambar acalycina 'Burgundy Flush'
(Chinese Sweet Gum ) An unusual tree native to Eastern Asia, Liquidambar acalycina 'Burgundy Flush' has three lobed, maple-like leaves which emerge as a vivid burgundy-purple colour in spring.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An unusual tree native to Eastern Asia, Liquidambar acalycina 'Burgundy Flush' has three lobed, maple-like leaves which emerge as a vivid burgundy-purple colour in spring. These leaves slowly darken to green as they age in summer, before turning a translucent red in autumn before they fall.
Liquidambar acalycina 'Burgundy Flush' is a handsome garden tree with both spring and autumn colour!
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar acalycina 'Burgundy Flush' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Liquidambar acalycina 'Burgundy Flush' grows to be a medium sized branching tree.
- Height: 15 m (50 ft).
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft).
- Notes: The above height and spread is a good estimate for the Midlands. In the south of the U.K., this may grow to be a slightly larger trees and in the north of the U.K., slightly smaller. We have a specimen of Liquidambar acalycina 'Burgundy Flush', planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery. At 6 years old, it had reached a height of 2.5 m and a spread of 1.5 m.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, Rare and Unusual