Leycesteria formosa 'Golden Lanterns'
(Golden-leaved Pheasant Berry) Leycesteria formosa 'Golden Lanterns' is a beautiful golden-leaved shrub with claret and white flowers in late summer.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A beautiful cultivar, Leycesteria formosa 'Golden Lanterns' has arching stems covered with soft-golden leaves and drooping, claret and white flowers in late summer. These flowers are followed by dark purplish-black berries in autumn, popular with wildlife in particular pheasants.
A superb garden plant, ideal for brightening up a semi-shaded area and excellent as part of a low maintenance border or for planting in a woodland garden. Leycesteria formosa 'Golden Lanterns' can be pruned hard if required for growing in a garden with limited space.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Leycesteria formosa 'Golden Lanterns' dislikes very wet soils with frequent standing water.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Leycesteria formosa 'Golden Lanterns' can suffer from some die-back after severe cold weather.
- Flowering Period: June - September.
- Flower Colour: Claret red and white.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Medium sized, branching shrub with arching stems if left unpruned.
- Height: up to 2.5 m (8 ft).
- Spread: 2 m (6 ft).
- Notes: Leycesteria formosa 'Golden Lanterns' can be pruned hard in early spring to reduce the end size and encourage new growth. It will have a better shape if sheltered from strong winds.
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- To grow in a pot, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Autumn Colour, Fruit - Ornamental, Leaf Colour - Gold/Yellow
- On sale!
- On sale!