(Pheasant Berry) Leycesteria formosa is a handsome medium sized shrub with lush green leaves and trailing white and claret flowers in mid to late summer.
Free delivery for orders over £150
*Surcharges apply for Islands & Scottish Highlands . We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Secure payment by VISA / Mastercard with Sagepay (Opayo)
A handsome relative to our native honeysuckle originating in Western China and Eastern Tibet, Leycesteria formosa has trailing white and claret flowers in mid to late summer. These lovely flowers are followed by dark purplish-black fruit in autumn, popular with wildlife and pheasants in particular.
An unusual and lovely garden shrub, excellent as part of a low maintenance border or for planting in a woodland garden. Leycesteria formosa can be pruned hard if required for growing in a garden with limited space.
- Position: Full sun or shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Leycesteria formosa dislikes very wet soils with frequent standing water.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Leycesteria formosa can suffer from some die-back after severe cold weather.
- Flowering Period: June - September.
- Flower Colour: Claret red and white
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Leycesteria formosa grows to be a medium sized, branching shrub with arching stems if left unpruned.
- Height: 1.5m (5 ft) to 2.5 m (8 ft).
- Spread: 2 m (6 ft).
- Pruning: Leycesteria formosa can be pruned hard in early spring to reduce the end size and encourage strong new growth.
- How Much Sun
- Shade, Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline
- Special Features
- Good for bees & insects, To grow in a pot, Flowering in Summer
- On sale!
- On sale!