Juglans nigra 'Laciniata'
(Cutleaf Black Walnut) Very rare selection of the noble Black Walnut, Juglans nigra 'Laciniata' has long, bright green, deeply incised, pinnate (feather-like) leaves.
This plant is only available in small numbers and is very rarely listed for sale. There will potentially be a long wait until next available.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Very rare selection of the noble Black Walnut, Juglans nigra 'Laciniata' has long, bright green, deeply incised, pinnate (feather-like) leaves. The large ornamental leaves give this tree a striking appearance and are particularly attractive on sunny days with a light wind, which causes the leaves to nearly shimmer in the sunlight.
Juglans nigra 'Laciniata' is an unusual and lovely garden tree with a handsome display of large, deeply cut leaves once established.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Juglans nigra 'Laciniata' appreciates shelter from cold winter winds.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Eventually a small to medium sized tree with a branching, open habit.
- Height: up to 15 m (50 ft).
- Spread: 10 m (32 ft).
- Important: This plant is grown for its beautiful, ornamental leaves and does not produce edible walnuts. A specimen of Juglans nigra 'Laciniata', planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery had reached a height of 6 m and a spread of 5 m and after 14 years.
The magnificent Black Walnut was introduced from Eastern and Central North America in the seventeenth century. This rare selection has deeply cut foliage, each leaf on mature plants measuring up to a metre long.
Walnuts should be planted as young as possible as they dislike root disturbance; old specimens are valued for their superb timber.
Extract from an information poster in our arboretum
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Honey Fungus Resistant, Rare and Unusual, Leaf Shape - Unusual or Large
You might also like