Ilex crenata 'Golden Gem'
(Dwarf Japanese Holly) Ilex crenata 'Golden Gem' is a compact dwarf, evergreen shrub with pretty golden-yellow leaves in spring, turning lime green/yellow later in summer.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A compact dwarf, evergreen shrub with pretty golden-yellow leaves in spring, turning lime green/yellow later in summer. Occasional white flowers are produced in late spring, followed by small black fruit later in the year.
The colour of the Ilex crenata 'Golden Gem' leaves is dependent upon the amount of sunlight received during the day, with the best foliage colour being seen if planted in a position with full sun. In shady areas, the leaves will turn a considerably darker shade of green.
Hardy and suitable for growing in even the smallest of gardens or a large container. For very patient gardeners, several plants can be grown together to make an eye-catching low hedge.
- Position: Full sun or light shade.
- Soil: Well drained or moist, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: April - May.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Ilex crenata 'Golden Gem' grows to be a small compact, spreading shrub.
- Height: up to 1.5 m (5 ft).
- Spread: 1.5 m (5 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Screening/Hedge, To grow in a pot
- On sale!
- On sale!