Ilex x meserveae 'Blue Prince' (Male)
(Male Holly) Ilex x meserveae 'Blue Prince' is a free flowering, male holly and perhaps the best pollinator for most other female Ilex aquifolium and Ilex x altaclerensis cultivars.
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
This free flowering, male holly is perhaps the best pollinator for most other female Ilex aquifolium and Ilex x altaclerensis cultivars. Ilex x meserveae 'Blue Prince' has glossy, dark green leaves which take on a bluish hue in winter and small white flowers in late spring.
Ilex x meserveae 'Blue Prince' does not produce berries itself, but a single plant will pollinate several nearby female hollies!
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Ilex x meserveae 'Blue Prince' eventually grows to be a medium or large, densely branching shrub.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft).
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft).
- Notes: Ilex x meserveae 'Blue Prince' is a male form and will pollinate nearby female hollies, although it will not pollinate Ilex verticillata cultivars.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Screening/Hedge, To grow in a pot
You might also like