Hydrangea aspera 'Hot Chocolate'
Hydrangea aspera 'Hot Chocolate' is a handsome deciduous shrub with soft chocolate burgundy coloured leaves and violet-blue lacecap-like flowers in mid to late summer.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Hydrangea aspera 'Hot Chocolate' is a handsome deciduous shrub with soft chocolate burgundy coloured leaves and violet-blue lacecap-like flowers in mid to late summer. The older leaves generally turn to dark green as they age.
An excellent plant for adding a bit of foliage colour to a border in light, dappled or partial shade. Avoid hot and sunny positions to reduce the risk of leaf scorch in summer.
- Position: Light, dappled or partial shade.
- Soil: Moist yet well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: June - September.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Hydrangea aspera 'Hot Chocolate' grows to be a medium sized branching shrub with a rounded habit once established.
- Height: eventually 2.5 - 3 m (8 - 10 ft) / or 2.5 m (8 ft) after 10 years
- Spread: 2.5 m (8 ft) / or 2.5 m (8 ft) after 10 years
- Pruning: Remove dead or damaged stems in late winter or early spring.
- How Much Sun
- Shade, Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), To grow in a pot, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red