Hamamelis x intermedia 'Aphrodite'
(Witch Hazel) Hamamelis x intermedia 'Aphrodite' is a fantastic large shrub with masses of sweetly scented orange-red flowers in late winter or early spring.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 16 - 20 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
A beautiful large shrub, Hamamelis x intermedia 'Aphrodite' has slightly crimped, orange-red flowers which are produced in great abundance in late winter and early spring. These flowers are very fetching and also sweetly scented. The leaves are dark green, turning fantastic shades of red in autumn before falling.
Hamamelis x intermedia 'Aphrodite' is a vase-shaped, deciduous shrub or very small tree with flowers that give excellent late winter interest. Attractive leaves and good autumn colour in October.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Hamamelis x intermedia 'Aphrodite' dislikes shallow, chalk soil and will not grow well in wet or waterlogged conditions.
- Hardiness: Hardy. As a young plant, Hamamelis x intermedia 'Aphrodite' may require protection from severe, late spring frosts once the young leaves have emerged in spring.
- Flowering Period: January - March.
- Flower Colour: Orange-red
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Hamamelis x intermedia 'Aphrodite' grows to be a large branching shrub.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft).
- Spread: 3.5 m (12 ft).
- Notes: In soils which may become wet in winter, it is a good idea to mound-plant Hamamelis to improve the drainage around the root system.
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, To grow in a pot, Scented, Flowering Season - Winter (December - February)
You might also like