Hamamelis vernalis 'Sandra'
(Witch hazel) Hamamelis vernalis 'Sandra' is a lovely large shrub with honey coloured flowers in late winter and good orange, yellow red autumn colour.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
(Witch Hazel) A delightful witch hazel, Hamamelis vernalis 'Sandra' is a large branching shrub with delicate, honey coloured, fragrant flowers in late winter and early spring. The new foliage is a splendid plum purple when it appears in spring, turning later in the year as it ages and then showing striking red, orange and yellow autumn colour.
Hamamelis vernalis 'Sandra' is a deciduous shrub or very small tree with flowers that give excellent late winter interest. Attractive leaves and good autumn colour in October.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Hamamelis vernalis 'Sandra' dislikes shallow, chalk soil and will not grow well in wet or waterlogged conditions.
- Hardiness: Hardy. As a young plant, Hamamelis vernalis 'Sandra' may require protection from severe, late spring frosts once the young leaves have emerged in spring.
- Flowering Period: January - March.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Eventually a large shrub with a branching, rounded habit once established.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft).
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft).
- Notes: In soils which may become wet in winter, it is a good idea to mound-plant Hamamelis to improve the drainage around the root system.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Scented, Flowering Season - Winter (December - February)