(Japanese Forest Grass) Hakonechloa macra is a handsome deciduous grass with compact mounds of arching bright green summer leaves which turn purple, red and bronze in autumn.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
Hakonechloa macra is a handsome deciduous grass with compact mounds of arching bright green summer leaves which turn purple, red and bronze in autumn. The leaves gradually turn fron bronze to brown and persist into winter. Greenish flower heads may also last into winter turning bronze in autumn.
Best in full sun or dappled shade.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil. Avoid soils prone to flooding.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: June - July.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Hakonechloa macra grows to be a small to medium sized, mound forming grass.
- Height: up to 80 - 100 cm (3 ft)
- Spread: 80 - 100 cm (3 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Grass - Medium (1m - 2m), Grass - Small (less than 1m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Site: Coastal Areas, Soil: Acid, Soil: Alkaline
- Special Features
- Habit - Architectural, Foliage - Unusual Shape, Suitable for Containers