Fothergilla major is an unusual densely branching medium sized shrub grown for its vivid orange red and yellow autumn colours.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
(Witch Alder) A lovely slow-growing shrub native to the United States, Fothergilla major has dark green leaves which turn vibrant shades of red, yellow and orange in autumn before falling. As well as the spectacular autumn colour, this plant has clusters of showy, fragrant white flowers in spring as the new leaves emerge.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Moist, acid, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: April - May.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Medium sized, densely branching shrub.
- Height: up to 2.5 m (8 ft)
- Spread: 2.5 m (8 ft)
- Notes: Although still slow growing, Fothergilla major usually grows to be a larger garden plant than Fothergilla gardenii.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Flowering Season - Spring (March - May), Honey Fungus Resistant, Scented, To grow in a pot
You might also like