(Chinese Parasol Tree) Firmiana simplex is an unusual small, spreading tree best in a sheltered position with very large dark green leaves and smooth, green young stems.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
An unusual tree in the UK, Firmiana simplex has handsome, large dark green leaves which turn yellow in autumn before falling. The bark of young plants is smooth and vivid green in colour. Established specimens can flower but generally only in a hot summer.
Firmiana simplex tends to be narrow and upright when young, starting to spread once established. Although reasonably hardy, Firmiana simplex requires hot summers to grow well and so is best in hot, sunny gardens (preferably with shelter from strong winds) in the South of the UK. If planted in cooler, wet areas, they can be difficult and prone to die back.
- Position: Ideally sheltered from wind in a hot position with full sun.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. Requires a hot position to thrive & shelter from cold winds.
- Flowering Period: Summer.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Firmiana simplex grows to be a small tree with a spreading habit once established.
- Height: up to 6 - 8 m (20 - 26 ft).
- Spread: 5 m (16 ft).
- Notes: Firmiana simplex can be fickle and difficult if planted in a poor position and growing it is best attempted by experienced gardeners. As a result please be aware that it is not covered by our usual guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Ornamental Bark, Rare and Unusual, Habit - Architectural, Foliage - Unusual Shape