Ficus carica 'Ice Crystal'
(Cut Leaf Fig) Ficus carica 'Ice Crystal' is a new and rare selection of hardy fig with eye-catching deeply cut leaves which look very much like ice crystals.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A new and rare selection of hardy fig with eye-catching deeply cut leaves which look very much like ice crystals. The leaves are deeply cut and dark green, turning golden yellow in autumn before falling. Established plants are said to produce edible figs, although as it is a new introduction we have not seen this yet ourselves.
Ficus carica 'Ice Crystal' is an ideal plant for growing against a sunny wall or fence!
- Position: Hot in full sun.
- Soil: Well drained soil. Ficus carica 'Ice Crystal' will tolerate dry soils and is drought resistant.
- Hardiness: Hardy. A very cold, prolonged winter may cause die back on some shoots, but it will recover well in the following year.
- Flowering Period: June - September.
- Flower Colour: Green
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Ficus carica 'Ice Crystal' grows to be a larger shrub or small branching tree once established.
- Height: 6 m (20 ft) if left unpruned.
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft) if left unpruned.
- Pruning: Prune in late spring to remove any frost damaged material and thin out new shoots to ensure that plenty of light will reach the inner branches. This will help stimulate fruit production.
- Notes: If you wish to try and encourage fruiting, Ficus carica 'Ice Crystal' should be planted with a restricted root run outdoors. This can be achieved by either planting it in a large container, or digging quantities of gravel, stone, old terracotta pots, etc into the planting site. If planted into a nutrient rich soil, fig trees will usually produce huge amounts of new growth, lush leaves and very little fruit.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- To grow in a pot, Fruit - Ornamental, Fruit - Edible
- On sale!