Embothrium coccineum var. lanceolata
(Chilean fire bush) A beautiful South American, semi-evergreen large shrub, Embothrium coccineum var lanceolata has fantastic flame orange-red flowers in early summer.
This plant is only available in small numbers and is very rarely listed for sale. Not available in near future.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
A beautiful South American, semi-evergreen large shrub, Embothrium coccineum var lanceolata has fantastic flame orange-red flowers in early summer.
Recent climate changes have enabled many gardeners to grow this beautiful plant in cooler inland gardens although Embothrium still requires shelter from cold winter winds.
Embothrium coccineum is a superb addition to most gardens or a woodland areas and a good companion plant for Rhododendrons and Azaleas as they enjoy the same soil conditions. Best for experienced gardeners.
- Position: Warm and sheltered in light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist yet well drained, neutral to acid soil.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. Embothrium coccineum var. lanceolata requires shelter from cold winds and can suffer from bruised or damaged leaves after cold weather.
- Flowering Period: June.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Eventually a large shrub with a branching, rounded habit once established.
- Height: up to 5 m (16 ft).
- Spread: 2.5 m (8 ft).
- Important Please Read!: Embothrium coccineum var. lanceolata is one of those few plants which can, irritatingly, fail in the correct site and occasionally prosper in a seemingly unsuitable situation. One thing which will certainly kill your plant will be free access to too much fertilizer; do not feed it ever, a nice leaf mould mulch will be much more beneficial.
- Guarantee Info: Please be aware that Embothrium coccineum var. lanceolata can be a fickle and difficult plant, particularly in the winter, if caught by frost or if planted in a poor position. As such, it is NOT covered by any guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Rare and Unusual
You might also like