(Southern Rata) Metrosideros umbellata is an evergreen shrub native to New Zealand with coppery coloured young leaves which turn dark green once mature and masses of vivid scarlet flowers in summer.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An evergreen shrub native to New Zealand with coppery coloured young leaves which turn dark green once mature and masses of vivid scarlet flowers in summer.
A handsome but tender shrub in the U.K., Metrosideros umbellata can be bought inside in winter (on a temporary basis), grown in a greenhouse or as a conservatory plant in a large container.
Outside all year round, Metrosideros umbellata will usually only survive in the very warm, sheltered gardens. Usually slow growing in the UK and not for instant gratification but lovely once established.
- Position: Very sheltered in full sun. Usually needs to be grows in a hot sunny position to see it flower in the UK.
- Soil: Moist yet well drained, fertile soil. Do not over water!
- Hardiness: Tender. Metrosideros umbellata requires significant protection from cold winter winds and frost in most gardens and usually grows better in southern parts of the U.K.
- Flowering Period: July - August.
- Flower Colour: Scarlet-orange
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Small to medium sized, loosely branching shrub for most parts of the UK. Possibly larger in many years in warm or mild areas..
- Height: 2 m (6 ft).
- Spread: 2 m (6 ft).
- Notes: Please be aware that Metrosideros umbellatacan be a fickle and difficult plant in the winter, if caught by frost or if planted in a poor position. As such, it is not covered by our guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Small (less than 5 ft tall), Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Evergreen, To grow in a pot, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August)