Elaeagnus x ebbingei
(Oleaster) Elaeagnus x ebbingei is a popular and versatile large evergreen shrub with dainty, sweetly fragrant white flowers from October to January and rounded greenish blue leaves.
Enter code autumn75 at checkout for 10% off plants on orders over £75 (web only)
Priority 1 - 2 day courier delivery service also available *Surcharges apply for Northern Scotland, Highlands & Islands
5% discount on all plants ordered via our website for collection from our nursery.
A popular and versatile large evergreen shrub with dainty, sweetly fragrant white flowers from October to January and rounded greenish blue leaves. The perfume of the flowers fills the air on still, mild autumn nights.
A wind proof shrub, Elaeagnus x ebbingei is very tolerant of maritime exposure, growing well right by the coast. A good standalone plant, this can also be pruned regularly if required and is often planted as a thick hedge (a 2 m tall hedge is shown in the middle photo above) in exposed areas to give protection from wind.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: October - January.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Large densely branching shrub.
- Height: 5 m (16 ft) if unpruned.
- Spread: 5 m (16 ft) if unpruned.
- Pruning: Once a Elaeagnus x ebbingei hedge has reached the required height, prune to shape in autumn.
- Notes: We would usually recommend planting Elaeagnus x ebbingei at a distance of 50 - 75 cm apart to create a thick hedge in a reasonably short space of time.
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m), Shrub - Large (3m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Site: Coastal Areas, Soil: Dry/Sandy
- Special Features
- Flowers in Winter, Flowers in Autumn, Evergreen, Scented, Screening/Hedge