Diervilla x splendens
(Bush Honeysuckle) Hardy and reliable, Diervilla x splendens is a small to medium sized, rounded shrub known for having masses of yellow summer flowers popular with pollinating insects.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
An unusual shrub with colourful flowers named after the French surgeon, Dr Dierville, who first introduced this genus from the Eastern United States in the early 18th century. Diervilla x splendens always attracts interest in our gardens, with masses of sulphur-yellow, two lipped, flowers in early summer and lush green foliage can turn colourful shades of red and purple before falling in autumn.
Diervilla x splendens is a superb flowering shrub for attracting insects and butterflies to the garden!
- Position: Full Sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: Sulphur yellow
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Diervilla x splendens grows to be a small to medium sized, rounded shrub.
- Height: 2 m (6 ft).
- Spread: 1.5 m (5 ft).
- Notes: A specimen of Diervilla x splendens, planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery had reached a height of 1.5 m and a spread of 1.5 m after 10 years.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m), Shrub - Small (less than 1.5m)
- Growing Conditions
- Site: Coastal Areas, Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Dry/Sandy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Flowers in Summer, Honey Fungus Resistant, Wildlife Friendly - Bees, Suitable for Containers