Diervilla x splendens
(Bush Honeysuckle) Hardy and reliable, Diervilla x splendens is a small to medium sized, rounded shrub known for having masses of yellow summer flowers popular with pollinating insects.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An unusual shrub with colourful flowers named after the French surgeon, Dr Dierville, who first introduced this genus from the Eastern United States in the early 18th century. Diervilla x splendens always attracts interest in our gardens, with masses of sulphur-yellow, two lipped, flowers in early summer and lush green foliage can turn colourful shades of red and purple before falling in autumn.
Diervilla x splendens is a superb flowering shrub for attracting insects and butterflies to the garden!
- Position: Full Sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: Sulphur yellow
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Diervilla x splendens grows to be a small to medium sized, rounded shrub.
- Height: 2 m (6 ft).
- Spread: 1.5 m (5 ft).
- Notes: A specimen of Diervilla x splendens, planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery had reached a height of 1.5 m and a spread of 1.5 m after 10 years.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall), Shrub - Small (less than 5 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Honey Fungus Resistant, Good for Wildlife (Insects including bees & butterflies), To grow in a pot