- On sale!
(Japanese Red Cedar) Native to parts of Japan and China, Cryptomeria japonica is an elegant, evergreen tree once established with tiny, awl-shaped leaves.
(Surcharges apply for Highlands & Islands. Click for delivery info)
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
Native to parts of Japan and China, Cryptomeria japonica is an elegant, evergreen tree once established with tiny, awl-shaped leaves. These leaves are bright green in the summer, turning bronze-brown through the winter.
The bark of established specimens is very ornamental, reddish-brown and peeling in strips. A handsome garden tree, slender when young best suited to mild parts of the United Kingdom or positions sheltered from cold wind in more exposed areas.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist yet well drained, fertile soil. Cryptomeria japonica will not grow well in shallow, chalky soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Shelter from cold winds.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Cryptomeria japonica will grow to be a tall slender tree with a pyramidal habit.
- Height: up to 20 m (65 ft) but usually smaller in the U.K.
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft).
- Notes: Cryptomeria japonica is notably wind tolerant but dislikes maritime exposure.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Large (over 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Windy & Exposed, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems, Honey Fungus Resistant
You might also like