Corylus colurna 'Te Terra Red'
(Purple-leaved Turkish hazel) An unusual small tree, Corylus colurna 'Te Terra Red' has glowing-purple, deeply-veined leaves which are retained well into autumn and long, graceful, pinkish-red catkins in spring.
Limited number of young plants currently available
(delivered in 3-4 working days, Free for orders over £125*)
(delivered in 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
An unusual small tree, Corylus colurna 'Te Terra Red' has glowing-purple, deeply-veined leaves which are retained well into autumn and long, graceful, pinkish-red catkins in spring.
When mature this develops an interesting and corky, fissured bark and produce very ornamental, rich purple nuts, usually in clusters of three or more in early autumn. A colourful garden plant!
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: January to March (Catkins).
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Small branching tree once established.
- Height: up to 6 m (20 ft) if left unpruned.
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft) if left unpruned.
- Notes: We have a specimen of Corylus colurna 'Te Terra Red', planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery. It is 12 years old, has reached a height of 3 m and a spread of 3 m. This garden is open to the public and this plant can be viewed all year round.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Alkaline, Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Damp/Wet, Site: Coastal Areas, Soil: Dry/Sandy
- Special Features
- Catkins, Foliage - Purple/Red