Corylus avellana 'Red Majestic'
(Contorted Purple-leaved Hazel) A handsome new introduction to the United Kingdom, Corylus avellana 'Red Majestic' is a contorted hazel with beautiful, deep purple leaves in spring and summer.
Free delivery for orders over £75*
*Surcharges apply for Highlands & Islands
A handsome new introduction to the United Kingdom, Corylus avellana 'Red Majestic' is a contorted hazel with beautiful, deep purple leaves in spring and summer. The twigs and branches have the same intricately contorted appearance and masses of small, pink/purple catkins appear in later winter or early spring.
Corylus avellana 'Red Majestic' is an eye-catching garden plant with year round interest.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: January to March (Catkins).
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Corylus avellana 'Red Majestic' grows to be a medium sized or eventually large, densely branching shrub with contorted, twisting stems.
- Height: up to 3 m (10 ft).
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft).
- Notes: The twisted stems of Corylus avellana 'Red Majestic' can be used to help create eye-catching flower arrangements.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Alkaline, Site: Coastal Areas, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Soil: Damp/Wet
- Special Features
- Ornamental Bark, Catkins, Suitable for Containers, Foliage - Purple/Red