Cornus 'Summer Sky Tree'
(Flowering Dogwood) New to us, Cornus 'Summer Sky Tree' is an unusual, narrow semi-evergreen tree with dark green leaves and handsome white flower bracts in late spring or early summer once established.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
New to us, Cornus 'Summer Sky Tree' is an unusual, narrow semi-evergreen tree with dark green leaves and handsome white flower bracts in late spring or early summer once established. Some leaves may fall in very cold winters and in more mild winter they can turn shades of reddish-bronze or purple before turning back to green the following summer.
In the UK Cornus 'Summer Sky Tree' will give its best display of flower bracts if planted in a warm, sunny position sheltered from cold winds. A specimens growing in our gardens here in Derbyshire for several years has proved to be very hardy.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Cornus 'Summer Sky Tree' grows to be a large, upright shrub or eventually very small fairly narrow tree.
- Height: 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft).
- Spread: 2 - 2.5 m (6 - 8 ft).
- Notes: The flowering of this Cornus is somewhat dependant upon the previous years summer weather. After a long hot summer, the following years flowering will be magnificent and after a cold, wet summer the following years flowering will be poor or sporadic.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Fruit - Ornamental, Rare and Unusual, Habit - Narrow