(White Fringe Tree) A robust member of the olive family, Chionanthus virginicus has bold, dark green foliage and delicately fragrant, white flower panicles up to 20 cm long in May or June.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 16 - 20 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
A robust member of the olive family, Chionanthus virginicus has bold, dark green foliage and delicately fragrant, white flower panicles up to 20 cm long in May or June.
Originally introduced from the East of North America in 1736 it is perfectly hardy in the British climate although we find that it will flower most freely where it is exposed to the full heat of the sun in midsummer.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Fertile, well-drained soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Chionanthus virginicus will produce more flowers in a warm and sunny garden.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Large, broad headed shrub once established.
- Height: 4 m (13 ft)
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft)
- Notes: We have a specimen of Chionanthus virginicus, planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery. After 8 years it had reached a height of 2 m and a spread of 1.5 m.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Honey Fungus Resistant, Scented
You might also like