Cercis chinensis 'Avondale'
(Chinese Redbud) Cercis chinensis 'Avondale' is a beautiful tree with bare stems which are studded with pretty, rich purple-pink flowers in late April or early May before the foliage emerges.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A beautiful tree native to China, Cercis chinensis 'Avondale' has bare stems which are studded with pretty, rich purple-pink flowers in late April or early May before the foliage emerges. The leaves are heart-shaped and quite large, making this an attractive foliage plant for the rest of the year.
Cercis chinensis 'Avondale' is an unusual garden plant with a fantastic display of spring flowers, ideal for a sunny position!
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any well-drained soils. Cercis chinensis 'Avondale' plant dislikes very wet or poorly drained soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: April - May.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Cercis chinensis 'Avondale' grows to be a large shrub or very small tree with a branching habit.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft)
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft)
- Notes: Cercis chinensis 'Avondale' does not transplant well and should be left undisturbed once planted in position. Please do not feed this Cercis with artificial plant food after planting it out, this can severely damage the root system.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Honey Fungus Resistant, Flowering Season - Spring (March - May)