Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy'
(Eastern Redbud) Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy' is a superb, graceful large shrub with translucent, heart-shaped dark red leaves in summer which glow in the sunlight.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
The sun shining through the glorious rich-purple, heart-shaped leaves of Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy' is one of the wonders of the garden. Some leaves reflect the light whilst others appear translucent, the overall effect being a tapestry of different shades of purple.
A scattering of rose-pink flowers appear on the bare stems in spring and the gorgeous foliage colour lasts from mid May until November. Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy' is a truly lovely plant which deserves a good position in nearly any garden.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Fertile, well-drained soils. Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy' dislikes very wet or poorly drained soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: April.
- Flower Colour: Rose-pink
- Rate of Growth: Slow until established then moderate.
- Habit: Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy' eventually grows to be a branching large shrub or very small tree.
- Height: 6 m (20 ft) / [up to 2.5 m (8 ft) after ten years]
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft) [up to 2 m (6 ft) after ten years]
- Notes: Cercis do not transplant well and should be left undisturbed once planted in position. Please do not feed this Cercis with artificial plant food after planting it out, this can severely damage the root system.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Spring (March - May), To grow in a pot, Autumn Colour, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red