- On sale!
Cercidiphyllum japonicum is a graceful small to medium sized tree with heart-shaped green leaves which turn bright shades of yellow, orange and red in autumn before falling.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
(Katsura Tree) An unusual but easily grown tree, Cercidiphyllum japonicum is known for its beautiful, heart-shaped leaves which turn fantastic shades of yellow, purple and red in autumn.
The leaves are bright green in spring / summer and grown from seed, the autumn colour varies from plant to plant, with the leaves of some turning brilliant orange or yellow and others turning glowing purple and red. As the leaves fall from the tree late in the year, they give off an aroma similar to burnt sugar or candy floss.
A spectacular garden tree with excellent autumn colour!
- Position: Sheltered area in full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist but well drained, acidic soils. Cercidiphyllum japonicum will tolerate some lime but will grow better and produce more vivid autumn colour in lime free or acid soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Cercidiphyllum japonicum requires shelter from strong winds.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Eventually a medium sized tree with an elegant branching crown once established.
- Height: 15 m (50 ft) / [up to 5 m (16 ft) in ten years]
- Spread: 10 m (32 ft) / [2.5m (8 ft) in ten years]
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall), Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Honey Fungus Resistant, Scented
You might also like