Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Strawberry'
(Katsura Tree) Very rare selection of Cercidiphyllum which has been bred for its outstanding, reliable, strawberry-pink and creamy-yellow autumn colours.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
Very rare selection of Cercidiphyllum which has been bred for its outstanding, reliable, strawberry-pink and creamy-yellow autumn colours. As the leaves fall from the tree late in the year, they give off an aroma similar to burnt sugar or candy floss. The new spring leaves are maroon when they emerge, turning green as they age
Not instant gratification by any means but Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Strawberry' is attractive all year round and the reliable & bright autumn colour makes this clone a spectacular garden tree once established.
- Position: Sheltered area in full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist but well drained, acidic soils. Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Strawberry' will tolerate some lime but will grow better and produce more vivid autumn colour in lime free or acid soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Strawberry' requires shelter from strong winds.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Eventually a medium sized tree with an elegant branching habit once established.
- Height: 15 m (50 ft)
- Spread: 10 m (32 ft)
- Notes: A specimen of Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Strawberry', planted in the woodland surrounding our nursery had reached a height of 4 m and a spread of 3 m after 12 years.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Honey Fungus Resistant, Scented
You might also like