(Button Bush) Beautiful deciduous shrub with tasteful flowers which can be found growing in the wild on lowland sites and next to streams in parts of Eastern North America.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Beautiful deciduous shrub with tasteful flowers which can be found growing in the wild on lowland sites and next to streams in parts of Eastern North America. Cephalanthus occidentalis has a rounded habit, bright green leaves and in late summer, masses of creamy-white, globular flower heads (very similar in appearance to large buttons).
The flowers have a faint, sweet scent and are very popular with insects, in particular honey bees! Cephalanthus occidentalis is an excellent garden shrub which thrives in moist or damp areas (as long as it cannot become flooded) and grows notably well in peaty soils.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Flowering Period: August - September.
- Flower Colour: Creamy white
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Cephalanthus occidentalis grows to be a medium sized, rounded shrub.
- Height: 2 m (6 ft). [1.2 m (4 ft) in ten years]
- Spread: 2.5 m (8 ft). [2 m (6 ft) in ten years]
- Notes: The leaves of Cephalanthus occidentalis plant are mildly toxic and should not be eaten.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Spring (March - May), Scented, Good for Wildlife (Insects including bees & butterflies)
You might also like