Catalpa x erubescens 'Purpurea'
(Indian Bean Tree) Catalpa x erubescens 'Purpurea' is an uncommon flowering tree with fetching, large, chocolate-purple young leaves that turn to dark green as they age.
(Delivery within approximately 5 - 8 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An uncommon flowering tree with fetching, large, chocolate-purple young leaves that turn to dark green as they age. Catalpa x erubescens 'Purpurea' flowers freely even as a young plant, with masses creamy white flowers, flecked with yellow and dark brown in late summer.
After a hot summer, long hanging seed pods appear which can remain on the tree for long after the leaves fall.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Fertile, well drained soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. This Catalpa requires a sheltered position in Northern parts of the U.K. and grows best when planted in a position protected from strong winds.
- Flowering Period: June - July.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Catalpa x erubescens 'Purpurea' grows to be a small branching tree with a rounded crown.
- Height: up to 10 m (32 ft)
- Spread: 8 - 10 m
- Notes: Catalpa x erubescens 'Purpurea' is notably resistant to honey fungus!
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, Honey Fungus Resistant, Good for Wildlife (Insects including bees & butterflies)
You might also likeNew Price Each £35.00New Price Each £15.00
New Price Each £35.00New Price Each £35.00New Price Each £9.95New Price Each £38.00New Price Each £12.95