(Warty Barberry) A slow growing, compact evergreen shrub, Berberis verruculosa is native to China and has small dark green glossy leaves and golden-yellow flowers in spring.
*Surcharges apply for Islands & Highlands
Free delivery for orders over £75*
You can also order by calling our office on 01530 413700
A slow growing, compact evergreen shrub, Berberis verruculosa is native to China and has small dark green glossy leaves and golden-yellow flowers in spring. The young leaves are bright green in spring and early summer. The leaves also have a white underside and established plants develop interesting 'warty stems' giving rise to its common name (much more handsome than it sounds).
Berberis verruculosa is an unusual, tough and reliable evergreen shrub with graceful arching branches once established. Ideal for screening or ground cover in both sun and shade.
- Position: Full sun or shade.
- Soil: Most well drained, fertile soil. Berberis verruculosa does not usually enjoy wet or waterlogged soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: April - May.
- Flower Colour: Golden-yellow
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Berberis verruculosa grows to be a compact small or medium sized shrub with arching branches.
- Height: 1.5 m (5 ft)
- Spread: 1.5 m (5 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade, Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Small, Shrub - Medium, Ground Cover
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Not Fussy, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowering in Spring, Suitable for Containers, Screening/Hedge
- On sale!
- On sale!