Amelanchier alnifolia 'Smokey'
(Service Berry) An unusual plant in the UK, Amelanchier alnifolia 'Smokey' is grown primarily for it display of large, edible & sweet, smokey-blue/black fruit each June.
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
An unusual plant in the UK, Amelanchier alnifolia 'Smokey' is grown primarily for it display of large, edible & sweet, smokey-blue/black fruit each June. These fruit can be eaten straight of the tree or used in cooking, jams or jellies.
Amelanchier alnifolia 'Smokey' is self fertile and has masses of white flower in spring. The leaves are dark green and can turn shades of red and purple in the autumn but they do not have quite the vivid colours of some of the other selections listed here.
A superb & very small, ornamental fruiting tree which also is good for wildlife.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any fertile, neutral or acid soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: April.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Amelanchier alnifolia 'Smokey' grows to be a large, suckering shrub or very small branching tree.
- Height: up to 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft)
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Special: Windy & Exposed
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Flowering Season - Spring (March - May), Fruit - Edible, Good for Wildlife (Birds), To grow in a pot
You might also like