Amelanchier alnifolia 'Smokey'
(Service Berry) An unusual plant in the UK, Amelanchier alnifolia 'Smokey' is grown primarily for it display of large, edible & sweet, smokey-blue/black fruit each June.
(delivered in 3-4 working days, Free for orders over £125*)
(delivered in 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
An unusual plant in the UK, Amelanchier alnifolia 'Smokey' is grown primarily for it display of large, edible & sweet, smokey-blue/black fruit each June. These fruit can be eaten straight of the tree or used in cooking, jams or jellies.
Amelanchier alnifolia 'Smokey' is self fertile and has masses of white flower in spring. The leaves are dark green and can turn shades of red and purple in the autumn but they do not have quite the vivid colours of some of the other selections listed here.
A superb & very small, ornamental fruiting tree which also is good for wildlife.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any fertile, neutral or acid soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: April.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Amelanchier alnifolia 'Smokey' grows to be a large, suckering shrub or very small branching tree.
- Height: up to 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft)
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (3m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Acid, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Fruit - Edible, Fruit - Ornamental, Wildlife Friendly - Birds