Aesculus glabra 'April Wine'
(Ohio Buckeye) Aesculus glabra 'April Wine' is a rare branching large shrub or eventually very small tree with bronze-purple spring leaves turning green later in summer.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Aesculus glabra 'April Wine' is a rare branching large shrub or eventually very small tree with bronze-purple spring leaves turning green later in summer. Upright spikes of white flowers appear in late spring or early summer once established. Red and purple tints on the leaves as they fall in autumn.
Best spring foliage colour will be seen if planted in a sunny position with some shelter from cold winds.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Slow until established then moderate.
- Habit: Aesculus glabra 'April Wine' grows to be a large rounded shrub or eventually very small tree.
- Height: 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft)
- Spread: 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, Rare and Unusual, Flowering Season - Spring (March - May)